Tactical summary of the Herald and possible routes

This is for in-character discussions about the game.
Christine Reagan

Tactical summary of the Herald and possible routes

Postby Christine Reagan » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:00 pm

Good afternoon,

Here are the notes I have from Sleeping Jade Dragon.

To begin, the most obvious - Principality forces have overrun Beacon, and the Herald now operates out of our former home. This gives him a certain amount of protection, and the central location of Beacon in the Crossroads facilitates troop movements. As such, breaking his hold in Beacon is important. After that, taking out the Herald will be key to our plans. Even though he has stated he takes instruction from an entity in the Principalities itself, the Herald is the head of the snake. Taking him out will be key. Of course, he is surrounded by troops and seems impervious to death. That means there are only a couple of ways to deal with him - manage to isolate him from his troops or fight hordes upon hordes of enemies then counteract the dark ritual that gives him life. Isolating the Herald is likely difficult, but with appropriate alliances we will be able to split up his army, allowing you to strike hard and fast at his core.

We now face two paths. The first involves organizing the resistance. At the moment the resistance to the Herald is either disorganized, scattered, or simply trying to wait the situation out. If we can bring the disparate groups together we may be able to overcome the Herald’s numbers advantage. Several potential allies are:
The Davish (or the Wrothac)
Vigil
S.E.E.D.
various Magi City Corporations
The War Dogs
The Black Ravens
Trailseekers
The Sardonio’s or DeTuras
(or even some of the Crossroads refugees)

This will be a tricky task, and will take longer than the second path, and because of this it’s possible that some of our number might encounter assassins seeking to disrupt these plans. It is likely that some potential allies are somewhat dubious of the Lost Legion - They believe that because of its strong, conquering nature that the Lost Legion will simply make moves to subsume Beacon into their own territory. (As a note, I do not believe that is their plan, but I recognize that they have the military might to do so, especially once the Herald is out of the way.) The best thing to do be done on this front is concerted diplomatic efforts, but if we can manage several well-timed and synchronized strikes (likely organized by Soldiers of Fortune) we will be able to destroy his forces for good, leaving none left to stand against us.

The second path forward involves engaging in serious and large-scale guerilla tactics. Skilled combatants, particularly those with Soldier of Fortune, would be especially important for this path. We will likely be able to divide his forces, even trick them into being divided in the mountains. An Adventurer would be able to outline some locations that would be most opportunistic to use in this endeavor. The primary way to get at the Herald himself, outside of constant attacks, is to strike at his heart - the Herald has a grudge against the Republic. It's likely that with serious requests for aid that the Republic itself may be willing to assist, giving us the opportunity to attack him directly by drawing him out of Beacon. This opportunity could arise sooner than the first option. However, if we divide his forces and manage to kill him there will still be scattered Principality forces, and we will still need to overcome the forces remaining in Beacon before re-settling there.

So, we have a choice to make. The first option means accruing allies and defeating the Herald and his forces in one fell swoop, and the second option means we will need to engage in many quick strikes and make use of a connection to the Republic. Both have their downsides; the former is slower and runs the risk of assassinations and the latter allows us to quickly defeat the Herald himself but leaves many of his forces still active in the area. Additionally it leaves the Crossroads diplomatically insecure. The benefit to the first path is that we will likely be able to maintain our allies, who are more likely to accept terms now that we have a plan to present. This option also allows us to bring people in the Crossroads together, which might be beneficial in the long term. The benefit to the second path is that we can end the conflict more quickly, which is an important consideration for saving lives.

In the meantime, there is a food depot nearby, which is an important part of the Herald’s supply lines in the area. It’s lightly guarded, and disrupting the soldier’s food supplies would make it difficult for them to remain in the area. This may have been handled at the gather, I am unsure.

So. Thoughts? I know time is short but if you have ideas I would like to hear them before determining how I spend my time.

In joy,
Last edited by Christine Reagan on Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blushing Swan
Student of Ash Badger
Practitioner of White Maiden's Quill style

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Posts from before Jan 2018
Eurydice
kenneth_wright

Re: Tactical summary of the Herald and possible routes

Postby kenneth_wright » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:46 pm

We might have enough resources to do a bit of both.
Like, the diplomats go and secure connections for reinforcements and aid against the Herald, while the skilled fighters and mercenaries divert attention and rob their forces of resources and sleep.
Is that an option here, or are we assuming all of our attention gets focused on one of the two tracks?
Eugene Tyler, TAC Engineer and Lead Tech Researcher, Sekret, Terranfall
Master of Tetujin Tech, Beacon, The Gardens
Medical Professional Resident, Beacon, The Gardens
Christine Reagan

Postby Christine Reagan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:41 am

Good evening,

I believe that may work in a limited fashion, but we should look into that at the next gather.

In joy,
Blushing Swan
Student of Ash Badger
Practitioner of White Maiden's Quill style

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Posts from before Jan 2018
Eurydice
Bailey Jordan

Postby Bailey Jordan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:24 am

soooo
gut feeling says go w option 1
but i feel like splitting our people might not work out so well
esp w our diplos all goin together w/o a few fighters to back em up in case somethin gets nasty

Return to “In-Play Forum (IP)”