Investigation: Lucky #13

This is for in-character discussions about the game.
Abby Peterson

Investigation: Lucky #13

Postby Abby Peterson » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:09 pm

Apparently while I was out in the afternoon on Saturday, a big carnival came to town, calling itself the 13th Ring Carnival. Secondhand report was that various events of chance and skill, such as ring/ball toss, spin the wheel, some sort of dexterity maze were won by town, resulting in some toys, alchemicals, etc. No charge.

I got back in time for the nasty side effects and this is what I found.
Question: Why is Cassie's cycle of Luck on Lockdown as Blessing?

• The Lockdown happened at the Carnival, because of events there.
  • Yes, a crime has occurred. Has the luck that she's been using been taken from someone else or taken from her future? (Theories on that one, based on the later events of the night.)
  • Cosmic Powers could be causing this = if it's Moxie, then it's definitely a custom job.
  • The Society would lose their shit over this.
  • It's a Temporary effect, but the whiplash when the wheel breaks free of the lock will be bad - really bad. SOON. (Gloria: Soon after that evening the Daevish showed up during a diplomatic moment with the Wrothak and all fucking hell broke loose - that feels like the exact wrong moment going off.)
  • An example of the sort of bullshit this causes was brought into town by a detective new to the area - reported a body she found down in a ravine, having slipped and rolled down the hill;- strangled by vines that wrapped around his neck along the way, cracked against a rock on the way down and broke his neck, stabbed through by a piece of wood or metal as the rolled and fell down the hill, then landed face down in the water at the base of the hill and drowned.
    This means that this Carnival has been pulling this shit elsewhere in the area and will keep at it.

-------------------------------
    Updated notes:
  • The 13th Ring has figured out how to impose and use Lockdown as a farming process for luck - seeding a bit of good luck for you and bad for themselves with the game, then amping that up with the Lockdown, so that when the system can swing again, what comes back to them is much bigger luck than the bad they started with.
  • Profit is a main factor in the use of this system, but not the only one. There's something else they're after.
  • Instead of gaining allies, they're gaining a lot of enermies and then just trying to stay ahead of all of them.
  • The symptoms of their passing are not just unlucky events, but accidental strange deaths or bad luck that can be general, but is often targeted at the people who speak out against them. (GC: In other words, they can AIM that shit.)
  • A Diplomat with Espinonage might be able to find out more from the inside, but they are incredibly insular - if you're not a carny, you're a rube.
  • We need to find their bigger goal, the not-money one. Is it to Invert the Lady? Change the nature of her influence here? It's a big mess when it comes to how it's affecting Moxie, to be sure.
  • Another way to see what they're up to is to see where they've gone and check the forensic social data of what is 'luckier' and 'unluckier' from their passage.

Vision Evidence - Gloria:
A spinning Prize Wheel, decorated in bright reds and golds. The colored merge and swirl into larger chunks of reds and golds, widening on the wheel until the red overtakes and the whole wheel is red, then flashes all gold. I hear a man's sardonic chuckle and the amused remark, "Rubes are such easy marks."
Last edited by Abby Peterson on Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gloria Callaghan
PI for Hire
Jon Sanderson

Re: Investigation: Lucky #13

Postby Jon Sanderson » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:48 am

Goodwoman Gloria,

T'is a most dreadful tale thou hast regaled to us!

This tale doth use a palette I am most fond of! The Red and Gold art the colors of mine family, 'struth

I dare say, is this Carnival borne of grave portent and wicked deed? Most troubling if so.....for I did arrange myself in their web of influence for the sake of mutual profiting, as one hand may wash another.

Have I summoned the gates of Hel to mine own doorstep?!

Spare me kind words if so.
Sebastian LaBonne
Heir to the LaBonne Holdings
Deemed by the Unbound Wielder of the Thrashing Tortoise Style
Abby Peterson

Postby Abby Peterson » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:38 pm

Something smells real bad about them Sebastian. If my vision points right, then they saw you all as nothing but a quick fleece. Your deal may be the same, so watch out.

With the free stuff going around, they must be getting something out of it more valuable than the prizes they gave out.
I want to know where the profit is here. "Follow the money." Even if that profit is a ton of stolen/shifted luck.

I'm not saying drop your deal - I've got no idea what you agreed to or if they benefit at all from honoring it. That's up to you to decide. But their little switcheroo has killed at least one person and probably more. I'm not keen on them making the Crossroads a smoking crater with this scam.
Gloria Callaghan
PI for Hire
Jon Sanderson

Postby Jon Sanderson » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:53 pm

Then mayhaps this be a moment to catch them in the act! After all, if their ill magicks be focused upon me, then they keen mind and sharp eyes shall unveil their true motives!

Wouldst thou use thy detective skills to thwart their evil, if evil they be? Mayhaps at the next gathering.
Sebastian LaBonne
Heir to the LaBonne Holdings
Deemed by the Unbound Wielder of the Thrashing Tortoise Style
Tommy Kauffman

Postby Tommy Kauffman » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:55 am

Hey everyone, remember when I died I said it was a carnival that brought me back? This might be related. Just throwing that out there as I wasn't there and didn't meet them.
Duo - detective from the city
Abby Peterson

Postby Abby Peterson » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:17 am

Duo - here's what is up with that.

There's no connection to what you saw and the 13th Ring, except that maybe the Lady was trying to get you a message about this problem. The things we see on the other side can be symbolism tied to how we die, our own personal history and random elements of the environment all mixed together.
Since you practice Moxie, your death was flavored like home. The aggressive statement you heard the barker say in your dream was likely just the nature of this place to challenge us.
Gloria Callaghan
PI for Hire
Amber Nelson

Postby Amber Nelson » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:11 pm

Gloria, I feel as though I should have brought this up sooner, however, a few gatherings ago (back in March) I had a vision about a carnival, I saw a flash in the back of my head, large wooden wheels and a large striped tent. As well as i continued to hear the phrase "the 13th ring" over and over again, I don't have any memory of whether it was a feminine or masculine voice, so I apologize for that. At this time I don't have any other memories about the vision or this carnival, but if you need anything I will do my best to aid in whatever way I can.
Ochiti Destin
Second (or err.... first?) To Sir Sebastian LaBonde and former student of Moonlight Tiger
One of the three (Destin) Triple Threat Triplets,
Following in the steps of a sinner
Abby Peterson

Postby Abby Peterson » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:20 pm

Sebastion has been having rotten luck lately, and we started wondering if it's an effect from his making a deal to advertise for the 13th Ring Carnival and not having paid up yet.

Ding, ding ding, folks.
Okay, not all of his luck is connected to this, but certainly some of it.
A deal was made and hands shook. That's a contract and because he hasn't completed the job, at least some of his luck is sour.

• The effect will fade over time if he just ignores the deal but he can resolve it faster by either completing it or just breaking it cleanly.
  • If he completes it in good faith, then he'll be in the clear, but he'll have directed more poor shmucks into the gears of that luck-churning mess and they're gonna have some real problems because of that. Some of them deadly. See, the carnival, by whatever Moxie mess they're up to, can actually channel and focus the luck they're making and we've been seeing the bodies or near-fatal accidents turn up of the folks who piss them off. (Remember "Accidental Biscuit" from the radio announcements for Mystical after Midnight? That was confirmed to be a police informant watching the Carnival.)
  • If he denounces the carnival and warns folks off, he's going to become targeted by that very ugly sort of 'accidentally killed by a fake sword in a play' luck.
  • If other people do it for him and it tracks back to Beacon, then the bad luck comes for the whole town (and we saw what that looked like when the Davish interrupted the Wrothac meeting).
  • Using Espinonage would warn folks off it without leading back to the gossip...yet. They'll figure it out eventually, but it might give us time to find a solution to their weaponized luck pistol before then.
  • Sebastion could parody them or hide a warning about something like them in his plays and help in a similar way, but someone will see through it eventually. Again, it's a stalling tactic to getting busted denouncing them.
  • A straight up head-breaking could hurt them, sure, but you'd have to get lucky enough to land a hit with absolutely no such luck on your side if they can help it. And if even one of them gets the hell out, they'll likely turn that "Wheel of Fate" up to Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies sort of bullshit.
  • A ritual with a lot of Moxie users involved could combat and cancel them out, but we'd have to study that process and make the ritual first.

Which leads us to the next set of questions: What the fuck is actually going on with these fuckers?
  • They are staying ahead of the heat they generated by the Conquest tournament involvement by likely laying low or moving into a new area. They're dancing ahead of the angry mob behind them and the luck they can target seems like it can cover a lot of ground when they're nowhere near.
  • Of course, this can't be a viable long term plan. Eventually the mob will get too big and spread out. They have a bigger plan. - They are cycling the Moxie higher and higher and harder and harder. It's like spinning a plate, eventually it'll overbalance and the whole thing will come crashing down. They general idea seems from here like, when the Lady is on her knees, banging out a new contract with themselves at the top of the luck pile. Don't know if such a thing would even work, but doesn't anyone honestly want to find out the hard way?
Gloria Callaghan
PI for Hire
Amber Nelson

Postby Amber Nelson » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:02 pm

Espinonage? How so and too whom? I'm not sure if I'm following this correctly, would you mind expanding on it a tad more?
Ochiti Destin
Second (or err.... first?) To Sir Sebastian LaBonde and former student of Moonlight Tiger
One of the three (Destin) Triple Threat Triplets,
Following in the steps of a sinner
Abby Peterson

Postby Abby Peterson » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:05 pm

Diplomatic types who have a Knack for Espionage are better at putting words into the right ears so it doesn't get back to them right away. They make it harder to track down what strings they're pulling and on whom. They make my professional life a real hell, but we have some folks around here who can put a silver tongue to decent use, so there you go.

Ochiti, you and the other two already got a warning from the Lady about this, sounds like. I'm not sure what all of your skills are, but I think the Moxie users are going to be needed to suss out the big plan behind this ritual they're doing and whatever counter-ritual we need to build to stop it.
Gloria Callaghan
PI for Hire

Return to “In-Play Forum (IP)”