I got back in time for the nasty side effects and this is what I found.
Question: Why is Cassie's cycle of Luck on Lockdown as Blessing?
- The Lockdown happened at the Carnival, because of events there.
- Yes, a crime has occurred. Has the luck that she's been using been taken from someone else or taken from her future? (Theories on that one, based on the later events of the night.)
- Cosmic Powers could be causing this = if it's Moxie, then it's definitely a custom job.
- The Society would lose their shit over this.
- It's a Temporary effect, but the whiplash when the wheel breaks free of the lock will be bad - really bad. SOON. (Gloria: Soon after that evening the Daevish showed up during a diplomatic moment with the Wrothak and all fucking hell broke loose - that feels like the exact wrong moment going off.)
- An example of the sort of bullshit this causes was brought into town by a detective new to the area - reported a body she found down in a ravine, having slipped and rolled down the hill;- strangled by vines that wrapped around his neck along the way, cracked against a rock on the way down and broke his neck, stabbed through by a piece of wood or metal as the rolled and fell down the hill, then landed face down in the water at the base of the hill and drowned.
This means that this Carnival has been pulling this shit elsewhere in the area and will keep at it.
- The 13th Ring has figured out how to impose and use Lockdown as a farming process for luck - seeding a bit of good luck for you and bad for themselves with the game, then amping that up with the Lockdown, so that when the system can swing again, what comes back to them is much bigger luck than the bad they started with.
- Profit is a main factor in the use of this system, but not the only one. There's something else they're after.
- Instead of gaining allies, they're gaining a lot of enermies and then just trying to stay ahead of all of them.
- The symptoms of their passing are not just unlucky events, but accidental strange deaths or bad luck that can be general, but is often targeted at the people who speak out against them. (GC: In other words, they can AIM that shit.)
- A Diplomat with Espinonage might be able to find out more from the inside, but they are incredibly insular - if you're not a carny, you're a rube.
- We need to find their bigger goal, the not-money one. Is it to Invert the Lady? Change the nature of her influence here? It's a big mess when it comes to how it's affecting Moxie, to be sure.
- Another way to see what they're up to is to see where they've gone and check the forensic social data of what is 'luckier' and 'unluckier' from their passage.
A spinning Prize Wheel, decorated in bright reds and golds. The colored merge and swirl into larger chunks of reds and golds, widening on the wheel until the red overtakes and the whole wheel is red, then flashes all gold. I hear a man's sardonic chuckle and the amused remark, "Rubes are such easy marks."