Insectoids and The Big Boi

This is for in-character discussions about the game.
kenneth_wright

Insectoids and The Big Boi

Postby kenneth_wright » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:49 pm

I am going to share as much information as I can remember about the Insectoids that attacked us and the Big Boi they had leading them. If anyone has any additional information or clarifications/corrections, please feel free to add here.

• The Insectoids are large insects that have been historically involved in conflicts with the Republic. They are capable of draining powers, prowess, and vitality from living creatures, as well as feeding on energy from facilities that use technological or magical power sources.
  • The Insectoids that attacked us have a bit of modification done to them that makes them deadlier and smarter than their typical counterparts, but nowhere as deadly or as intelligent as the Big Boi leading them.
  • These Insectoids most likely originated from the abandoned Republic research facility a few of us were tasked to investigate; at least, that's where the Big Boi came from.
  • It is most likely that these Insectoids are part of the same brood, meaning there might be a nest and/or a queen(s) nearby (or the Big Boi is producing them, unclear if that is speculation or discovered fact).
  • The Big Boi is bigger, badder, smarter, and far more powerful than his broodmates/broodlings. Not 100% confirmed, but his growth, intellect, and power is most likely the result of genetic manipulation and artificial augmentation.
  • The Big Boi has a durable carapace tough enough to endure at least a hundred swings before collapsing, and it can regenerate by draining energy from living creatures and/or artificial sources (thus why it was jumping on an exposed power box on the Lighthouse).
  • The Big Boi also has the power to project an aura of draining effects when cornered or surrounded, giving it more options to regenerate and weaken opposition before fleeing or slaughtering those nearby.
  • As a note, the power output of the Lighthouse power box is strong enough to instantly kill and ash a person who comes in direct contact with the power mains, and these creatures (especially the Big Boi) not only endured that level of power, but also became much MORE powerful to fight against immediately afterward.
  • When scanning additional information sources via Situational Analysis Scanner (scan level 8), I got a good look at the Big Boi's mental processes; there is a level of sapient intelligence that is incomprehensible to the most current model of human intelligence Chro has loaded, which resulted in me getting a lot of background "Incompatibility" errors, but there was an overwhelming sense of Hunger driving the Big Boi to act. If it cannot be sated with tapping the Leyline of Powers underneath the Lighthouse, I have no idea how much power would be needed to sate its appetite, if it can be sated at all.

Not sure if we shared some/all the information about finding the Big Boi in the research facility; I will defer to Gloria's notes once she gets settled back in her office.
Eugene Tyler, TAC Engineer and Lead Tech Researcher, Sekret, Terranfall
Master of Tetujin Tech, Beacon, The Gardens
Medical Professional Resident, Beacon, The Gardens
Graduate of the Lore of Subtle Weapons
Expert Arcane Philosopher
Bailey Jordan

Re: Insectoids and The Big Boi

Postby Bailey Jordan » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:01 am

... did u let kaiser name it ‘big boi’
Anna S

Postby Anna S » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:35 am

No but as your physician I approve.
kenneth_wright

Postby kenneth_wright » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:29 am

Bailey Jordan wrote:... did u let kaiser name it ‘big boi’

No, but I have been spending more time around Kaiser what with the amount of experimental surgery going on around town.
Sean Harley

Postby Sean Harley » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:21 pm

Is your plan for dealing with this still: Trap it in a box then lock and bury the box?
Nick D'Angelo
C.A.R.E. Founder and CEO, CPA
kenneth_wright

Postby kenneth_wright » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:32 pm

Sean Harley wrote:Is your plan for dealing with this still: Trap it in a box then lock and bury the box?

That is one option I am exploring personally. If a battle tactician or other expert can come up with a better plan, I am willing to listen.
Alice Dodd

Postby Alice Dodd » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:06 pm

If you can finagle some way to talk to it and have a conversation, if that can be done, then I'd consider the option of leaving it alive.

Otherwise, I'm all-in on blast this thing to smithereens ASAP. If the Republic with their forces had so much trouble against it, I don't want to imagine how much our forces would be taxed having to fight a goddamn swarm.
Abby Peterson

Postby Abby Peterson » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:02 pm

Eugene - if our research shows that you don't have the skills to make any protections for the building that it just can't break, where are you getting the thought that you'll have the capability to make a cage it can't break?

Okay, now that that's out of the way, here's my copy of this from Notepad 3.
  • Giant Bugs are Insectoids, which Republic of Anduine has been battling them for awhile as vermin (for those that remember the bug fight in the memories contained in the Beta box...those are the swarms they've been fighting further north during their period of initial settlement)
  • The Giant Bug (I think we all know that I am not going to be calling it a Boi) was very unusual and outside of natural design/pattern. The smaller ones going for the power source with it were also odd. They were likely drawn by the Tetujin tech of the place (but also the Giant Bug followed us back into town last gather - yes, same one - so it knows the tech is here).
  • Eugene can defend the power line from the smaller bugs , but not the largest, which must be dealt with directly, as it cannot be defended against.
  • If we juice the line (activate the power to a level to harm the bugs touching it), then we activate The Blight in this area.
  • The Giant Bug is so big because it was experimented on in the lab (though no one can sort out for what purpose). It is now continually producing growth in its structure (maybe that was the point? To milk this thing for that? Needs looking at, for sure.)
  • Eugene had it about right on the durable carapace/at least a hundred swings part and yes, it regenerates after draining any sort of energy off a being (mental, physical, magical)
  • Surround it for the big curbstomp and it will glow red and produce even nastier defense measures in an area of effect, draining at triple the rate.
  • It slows down with contact to ice, but not even for 10 seconds, mainly 2-3 tops, but it does have an effect on it. This could change as it grows.
  • We'll need to hunt it down, but if we put it off too long, it will keep showing up and eventually killing people in the area.
  • The smaller bugs with it were either it's spawn or other Inesectoids that is has the capacity to change/mutate. However, they will not grow to its size.
  • The Giant Bug was not actually aggressive - which we don't know what that means yet, aside from the fact that maybe it's just hungry and not mad?
  • Eugene's PMD results, see above - he knows that thing better than I do, so my notes just say "PMD shows multiple incompatality errors and shows a massive spike in hunger."
Gloria Callaghan
PI for Hire

Return to “In-Play Forum (IP)”