Margrath - The Wraith

This is for in-character discussions about the game.
Abby Peterson

Margrath - The Wraith

Postby Abby Peterson » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:00 pm

During the fight to recover Malia, the vampires had a Wraith with them. When it had a victim down, it reached into their chest with a cold hand and took something from them. I was one of them. We studied the result and him afterward.

Margrath was his name, and he was allied with Dimitri, he was previously human until the last year or so, having kidnapped and taken blood from Lady Johanna and Grigori.
  • The injury caused is damage to the soul. The effect was not only healing the Wraith (yep, as in *Wraith*wall, capital W) but longer contact would give him more benefits. The victim was under an effect opposite to a boon - causing them to have a harder time coming back from the dead. (GC: Pure supposition on my part, but this sounds something like the poison that Siegfried's assassin buddies used on me. Worth checking sometime for similar effect.) This can be balanced out with a Boon. Monster hunters are likely catagorically immune to this soul damage, and there's likely some artifacts to protect against it.
  • Margrath doesn't need to feed for sustamemce, only when it is injured.
  • He is likely headed to a lair (he isn't really bound to anything, like the much weaker type ones from the graveyard)
  • He's likely as intelligent and sentient as he was in life.
  • How to destroy a full-on Wraith varies - this one can be killed by physical damage.
  • "Donning the wraithshroud" will not protect you from Margrath.
  • You cannot hide from it, as it can sense the soul of a hiding person.
  • He will likely lay low and plan revenge on the town. He can readily ally with Brother believers, and *might* ally with a Sister ally if he really needs it.
  • A Father worshiper is good bait to draw him out.
  • Sacred damage will have an additional effect against him, otherwise Invoke and Light will hurt him. He cannot be slowed, bound, withered, sickened and likely ignores crowd control effects unless they're Truely cast...even then it'll be a lessened effect.
  • He fights with claws.
  • I'll be able to study how to kill him more easily - I think this research started a breakthrough. As long as I stay on it in the next few months, it'll help. (OOC: +6 Breakthrough for the next 3 months for Gloria for studying "How to Kill Magrath").
Gloria Callaghan
PI for Hire
Abby Peterson

Re: Margrath - The Wraith

Postby Abby Peterson » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:25 pm

I think the target knows I was looking into him. I've been followed before, but not many of them have glowing eyes. (Could also be the serial killer. I suppose I'm pissing off plenty of Wraithwall types these days.)
Gloria Callaghan
PI for Hire
Abby Peterson

Postby Abby Peterson » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:35 pm

Got further on the research -
Wraithwall monsters (the big ones anyway) seem to need some sort of specific task that needs to be done to put them down for good, or they just get back up somehow.
Like the Haugbui and all that 'digging up and burning bones' stuff. Only this one is a lot smarter than the Haugbui and will work against us.

Right now, the direction of the research seems to be saying that we'll need someone who is blessed by the Father. Not sure what they'll need to do yet, but they'll need to be be born in Wraithwall and not know any spells from the Siblings.
Gloria Callaghan
PI for Hire
Abby Peterson

Postby Abby Peterson » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:51 pm

Margrath made a move this gather and I'll explain it so my actions and intentions are very clear.

A man named Black Diamond came in to speak to me and told me quietly that his Master, Margrath, was outside and wanted to talk to me.

I went outside to hear out Margrath because anyone speaking to you is giving you information about themselves, even if they don't intend to. It goes both ways, but I took the opportunity. Also, I knew Malia was watching and would scream to wake the dead and then go make something dead if anything happened.

Margrath told me that Black Diamond's family was being held by 'his friends' and that they would die if I did not stop researching him.

I told him that the werewolf pack was after him, to accomplish a few things; to see his reaction, to suggest I have information he could need, and to divide his attention in the future.

I told him that I would not stop researching him. He then directed Black Diamond to kill at least one person in the town to win the life of one family member. Margrath then escaped in the fighting and Enduring Pine accepted defeat at the hands of Black Diamond, to give him a chance to save his family.

Several in town put our heads together to see if we could find the hostages before they could be killed and we could not. Margrath did not intend to allow anyone to live and Black Diamond would have been killed upon arrival to collect his 'reward'. Janet raced ahead to stop Black Diamond and warn him.

In my profile assessment of his behavior on our two encounters, Margrath has demonstrated shows of dominance linked to personal cruelty and intelligence. It is my belief that he brought Black Diamond with him to not only protect his movements in town, but to act as emotional leverage to the demand he presented. which I believe Margrath would not have honored. I do regret their deaths, and accept both my part in the events and that I am not the hand that killed them.

I believe that this Wraith will continue to kill and terrorize and will work to finish my research as quickly as I am able (with regards to the Endings work that needs doing), to limit the deaths and damages.
Gloria Callaghan
PI for Hire
Abby Peterson

Postby Abby Peterson » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:19 am

New info on this fucker. Figured out the general process of killing him.
It mostly involves (like the vampires and the werewolves) beating him down in strength until we can finish him with a specific method.

1. Attack him with an Artifact that is both a wieldable weapon and empowered with the light of the Father. Wear him down substantially before finishing him off.
  2. Attack him with a similarly powerful Artifact blessed with the power of the Ennead. Wear him down substantially before finishing him off.
  3. Perform some sort of ceremony appropriate to the Father’s nature (and let's face it, we're mostly guessing what that is sometimes), then anoint a weapon with the blood and soul of a willing, innocent person. (Similar to the St. Lucien blade, maybe?) This would likely prevent them from ever returning to life, but this weapon would have a dire effect on Margrath if he were attacked with it. Costs a willing life and research would be needed to see if the soul was suitable.
  4. Ceremonially anointing a weapon with the blood of the Ennead that, in a ritual, might be able to put him down for good. This one is a long shot and has the most chance of problems. It can work, but may leave something of him behind.

Also, if Black Diamond shows back up and wants to stab me, just come tell me and get a healer ready. I'll let the man get his stabs in, and then we'll get properly down to business.
Gloria Callaghan
PI for Hire
Sean Harley

Postby Sean Harley » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:39 pm

Can we get the big sword with the bitchy ghost back? Can we get it in quasi-permanent loan?
Nick D'Angelo
C.A.R.E. Founder and CEO, CPA

Return to “In-Play Forum (IP)”