On Death and Dying in the Garden

This is for in-character discussions about the game.
Anna S

On Death and Dying in the Garden

Post by Anna S »

So after the fight with Void, a lot of folks died. I'm not gonna go over the specifics of that because it's not my place, but I wanna talk about some general stuff we learned about that.

Death here comes to you as an offering, a choice to make about if you are ready to settle and move on, or keep living.

Death is not an enemy, or an antagonist. With as much as we harped on Void being a concept or idea, Death is even more ephemeral than that. There is no sentience as far as we can see from our small minds.

We don't know what will happen when someone says yes to Death, that they are ready to settle, but it is most likely that their spirit will rest and the soul will not return. Someone who feels like spending like, a double Duo amount of time on thinking about that might could find the answer, but I don't think it's worth it to be honest.

Boons tend to help you in resisting settling if there are parts of you that wish to, I doubt if you truly were ready to go that a boon would do much but this is just my own conjecture.

In the abstract it would be....theoretically possible to Parlay with Death but like, who's gonna fuck around and find out? I do know of a way to visit the place where a soul goes while it is choosing but it is extremely poor form to subvert someone else's death for your own gains so uh, I'm not fucking doing it. Not sure if you would need to or be able to sweet talk something more ephemeral than an idea while you were also dead but you do you.

The only concrete thing I will say about those who died to Void is that the "string" length was just random and has no bearing on your soul or anything, just the order in which you happened to arrive and place yourselves. Anything else other than the length was likely personal and I will not be sharing those details with folks because that's too personal.
Anna S

Re: On Death and Dying in the Garden

Post by Anna S »

Also I will note this was an investigation into those deaths after the Void fight, and that some of the above is the conjecture of a non Scholar, so uh take that with a bit of salt.
Sam Marshall

Post by Sam Marshall »

Blessings of Amenerkah upon this paper and you, the reader.

I had been under the impression that some people still experience their personification of Amenerkah from their own world. One of the people from the City mentioned that a long carriage still comes to collect the people. I pray to Inanna that I have not misunderstood their words, and that there is simply some clarification that needs to be given. My humblest apologies for the inconvenience.

May Userkaf keep his watchful eye upon you, and may you never be struck by the arrows of those who wish harm.

Iseurei, neophyte of Menkaura
Anna S

Post by Anna S »

As far as I have seen it's kind of a mystery flavor depending on what was happening.

When folks died at the Herald fight, they saw "the Herald" but it was just because of it being the most recent big nasty, I think.

Others have seen things from their pasts, deity like creatures, etc but as far as I can tell it's all been just illusory.
Bailey Jordan

Post by Bailey Jordan »

i dont think it's all an illusion or fake or w/e
infinium wasnt
that shit got installed after i agreed to somethin while dead
so there are consequences at least
Tommy Kauffman

Post by Tommy Kauffman »

I was working on research on the topic of death in the garden. I don't think I'll be able to finish it though. I just have never have time. It is an EXTREMELY large project that I would not mind handing off my notes to a new researcher if needed.

Just wanted to academically chime in.
Duo - detective from the city
Anna S

Post by Anna S »

Yeah like

thinking about it the nature of Death as a whole is like, so much time that literally none of us could do it as one person, not even you Duo
Tommy Kauffman

Post by Tommy Kauffman »

Well I was about halfway through how death in the garden works. It was going to be book two in my garden studies. But I'd be happy to co author this one. Plus it can help beacon survive.
Duo - detective from the city
Anna S

Post by Anna S »

If someone else wants to take that up feel free and good luck; it is definitely not my circus, my monkeys, my problem, and certainly not my area of expertise.