Forcefield of Choice

For questions about the game rules.
Cindrah

Forcefield of Choice

Post by Cindrah »

I have a few questions about this one
1) While the spell is readied, do I need to have my hand out constantly to use the ward effect, or can I raise my hand in response to an incoming effect?
2) Do packets count as something in my hands when I'm using the Unleashed version of the spell?
3) How long does the Unleashed version last? Does each packet blocked or caught just use one of the normal readied uses? Or is it something else, due to it saying they're free?
4) If it is something else, is the Unleashed version still a readied spell?
5) I noticed there isn't a singular negative effect for Unleashing the spell. Are the empty hands plus the relative difficulty of blocking packets the negative effect, or is that not deliberate?
Cindrah

Re: Forcefield of Choice

Post by Cindrah »

Oh one more thing I forgot:
6) Can I block a double/triple/etc. effect with the Unleashed version? If so, how do I call the tagline, and what happens?
Tanner Rives

Post by Tanner Rives »

Cindrah wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:09 pm I have a few questions about this one
1) While the spell is readied, do I need to have my hand out constantly to use the ward effect, or can I raise my hand in response to an incoming effect?
2) Do packets count as something in my hands when I'm using the Unleashed version of the spell?
3) How long does the Unleashed version last? Does each packet blocked or caught just use one of the normal readied uses? Or is it something else, due to it saying they're free?
4) If it is something else, is the Unleashed version still a readied spell?
5) I noticed there isn't a singular negative effect for Unleashing the spell. Are the empty hands plus the relative difficulty of blocking packets the negative effect, or is that not deliberate?
1. You only need to hold out your hand when the effect hits you, not all the time. Note however that if you don't have your hand out an get surprised by an attack, you can't Ward it in that case.
2. Packets are out of play items and don't count as held objects.
3. It lasts until you no longer have empty hands -- it's actually a bit of an oddity since that is really the only penalty. Blocked/caught packets don't use up any resource; they're "free" Wards.
4. Whether the spell is Unleashed or not, having it active counts as a Readied spell.
5. See above, but yes, pretty much. Since you have to catch or block the packets for it to do anything, there isn't really any other disadvantage other than keeping your hands empty and the spell Ready.
Tanner Rives

Post by Tanner Rives »

Cindrah wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:30 am Oh one more thing I forgot:
6) Can I block a double/triple/etc. effect with the Unleashed version? If so, how do I call the tagline, and what happens?
You can, so long as the attack is one that the spell can defend against (ie, contains Invoke in the tagline).

You would say, "Ward, Ward, Ward!" You would presumably be just fine afterwards.
Cindrah

Post by Cindrah »

I would still only have one free invoke to throw from blocking a triple invoke, right? I assume that free invoke is discarded if I don't use it before blocking another effect, so only the most recent of the three would apply?
Tanner Rives

Post by Tanner Rives »

Cindrah wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:52 pm I would still only have one free invoke to throw from blocking a triple invoke, right? I assume that free invoke is discarded if I don't use it before blocking another effect, so only the most recent of the three would apply?
Correct, because the free attack you get must be used immediately, and you can't "immediately" use three of them.
Dylan Coffey

Post by Dylan Coffey »

Hey, while we're on corner cases! Forcefield of Choice gives a 'free' ward against a packet you actually catch -- does that mean if I catch a Triple Invoke packet, I freely ward all three, since I caught the packet for 'each' of the attacks?
????

posts from before November 2019
---
Moonlight Tiger
Grandmaster of the Five-Element Supreme Sword Skill
First Disciple of the Void Moon Reflection Style
Student of the Mt. Infinity School
Clay Road Wanderer
Tanner Rives

Post by Tanner Rives »

Dylan Coffey wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:37 pm Hey, while we're on corner cases! Forcefield of Choice gives a 'free' ward against a packet you actually catch -- does that mean if I catch a Triple Invoke packet, I freely ward all three, since I caught the packet for 'each' of the attacks?
Yes, the Unleashed version protects you from all three attacks in that case.