Weapon and Armor types allowed

For OOP discussions related to Garden of Destinies.
chrisfreeman

Weapon and Armor types allowed

Postby chrisfreeman » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:43 pm

Good afternoon,
I'm new to LARP and I'm currently getting gear together with the intent of being ready for the June event in georgia.
I've searched and searched, but I haven't found on the site whether foam weapons such as those from Epic Armoury areallowed in game. Will I be restricted to the homemade type, or can I play with the the more realistic ones, provided they are foam?
Also, in making my armor, am I permitted to craft an EVA Foam helmet with foam horns?

Apologies if I missed a post that already answered these questions, but thank you!
Tanner Rives

Re: Weapon and Armor types allowed

Postby Tanner Rives » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:14 am

Hi Chris,

Sorry for the delayed reply. The current pandemic and cancellation of our April event has resulted in our forums being a bit dormant. If you use Discord, our Discord server (which tends to have a bit more activity) is linked on this page: http://gardenofdestinieslarp.com/contact-us/

You can find rules for what phys reps we allow in chapter 3 of our rules, linked here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/11Nt ... cUhV0/edit

That's not necessarily all-inclusive though, as we inspect every weapon before every event and if a particular weapon has some sort of unusual/unforeseen issue it may fail to pass inspection. I can say that currently, we do not allow latex or plastidip weapons, which are generally the kind sold from stores online (there are numerous reasons for this, though some of the bigger ones include the lack of open cell foam thrusting tips and points that can easily fit into eye sockets). If you need to, we allow players to borrow a weapon from our monstertown for their first event (supply permitting) and there are several people in our community that take commissions on them (as their time/desire allows; none are "official" sellers), with prices likely to run you anywhere from $10 for a basic boffer weapon to high double digits for a dacron-tape ultralight. If you plan to play a serious fighter, I really can't recommend getting the latter type enough, as they still look good and are much lighter than almost any other construction type, homemade or not.

The EVA foam helmet is probably just fine though! We cannot approve any prop until it is presented to us in person, but the reality is that an all-foam helmet is incredibly unlikely to be a problem. Generally speaking, we care most about armor being safe and looking cool rather than trying to judge it by "realistic" it is.

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

Return to “Garden of Destinies General (OOP)”