Calimacil Weapons

For discussions not related to Garden of Destinies.
AliciaClifton

Calimacil Weapons

Post by AliciaClifton »

Does anyone here have experience with Calamicil foam weapons? I am curious if they are considered safe or not - particularly the thrusting tips. I may be the guinea pig and purchase one - but I'd prefer not to gamble on a $150 purchase if somebody else has already bought one. I e-mailed them already and asked about their construction and how much foam covers the tip of the core. I'll post here if and when they respond.
Tanner Rives

Re: Calimacil Weapons

Post by Tanner Rives »

Latex weapons are currently under review in our game, pending some testing and feedback. I believe at least one of the weapons at our opening event was Calimacil.

I would hold off on buying a brand new one for now, though -- I would hate for someone to spend so much money and then be stuck with a weapon they can't use.
AliciaClifton

Post by AliciaClifton »

Point of clarity: Calamicil and Mytril weapons are not latex - they are skinned foam. It may seem like a 'same-difference' situation, but they are structurally extremely different materials.

That said, I just received responses from both the above companies to my inquiries about the weapons' construction and coring. Based on those responses, I unfortunately can not recommend that this larp (or for that matter any larp that allows thrusting attacks) allow their use for any thrusting weapon (to be fair; they may be fine for non-thrusting weapons like axes, maces, and greatswords). Both companies were unforthcoming and refused to answer my questions about how far into the tip of the weapons the fiberglass core extends. Instead, they gave what were essentially non-answers and claimed that their weapons were safe without giving any specifics concerning the internal construction or measurements of padding. This leads me to believe that the weapons are unsafe for thrusting, and that the companies are aware of it but want to make sales in spite of it.

I hope that information is helpful to anyone else whom was considering something. For those like myself for whom aesthetics are extremely important, traditional kit-spar-core/closed-cell-foam-blade/open-cell-foam-tip/sail-tape-skin weapons are most likely still the safest bet until a better production option comes along.
Dylan Coffey

Post by Dylan Coffey »

Calimacil is generally protective of their compositions as a matter of trade secrets, but I'm not familiar with Mytril as a brand. There's some flex in the exact construction of Calimacil phys-reps in my experience, with no two items from the same line being exactly identical, so they might also be avoiding those questions as a matter of legal protection. Regardless, I was staff on a game that used Calimacil weapons for several years (and this game was full-contact, to boot!), and we had zero recorded instances of injuries caused by those phys-reps, thrusting or otherwise. In any case, it's probably not best for us to engage in speculation regarding these companies' internal logic or ethical character.
????

posts from before November 2019
---
Moonlight Tiger
Grandmaster of the Five-Element Supreme Sword Skill
First Disciple of the Void Moon Reflection Style
Student of the Mt. Infinity School
Clay Road Wanderer
Anna S

Post by Anna S »

As an NPC who has fought against a 'realistic' latex weapon and other non- latex options (flat blades, 'regular' boffers, etc) and accidentally too hard thrust hurts about the same from a flat blade and a latex weapon.

The flat blade thrust tips tend to go L shaped fairly easily when thrusting, where as the latex tips do not, though they have less softness over all. In a normal safe fight I can rarely tell much difference between the types of blade.

I'm not on staff, but GoDs allows for a lot of aesthetic variance in terms of how any two PCs weapons/kits/costumes/etc are going to look from the same world. It's great that you're focused on making your aesthetics awesome, but you will see a variance in aesthetic choices based on budget, preference, effort, etc so keep in mind you will see flat blades as much as regular boffers, and a few latex weapons.
AliciaClifton

Post by AliciaClifton »

I'm sorry if I came off as being overly harsh.

To reiterate: I asked how much foam past the tip of the core exists so that I could gauge the safety of a product without making a non-refundable $100+ purchase. To be clear: the refund policy states that it can be returned for 60 days, but the fine print says that if it has been used even once (such as striking or sparing with it in order to perform a safety check) then it cannot be returned. Instead of an answer to my question, I was given this message (exact copy-paste, all errors intact) from Mytril:
I cant go througt all safety regs from all LARP's. We make safe weapons for worldwide LARPers.
This message did not give me any confidence whatsoever.

I was given the following message in answer to an identical question posed to Calimacil:
Thank you for contacting Calimacil!

Unfortunately, since all LARPs are different, we can't answer your question to its full extent.
We would recomment to dontact your local LARP association to make sure they accept our weapons in their events, this will guarantee that your custom weapon will be accepted.
This message is the standard boiler-plate non-answer, but it is much more polite and professional than the other company's answer. Unfortunately, even though I asked a specific question about the product, both companies gave out unrelated information instead of answering the question.

After receiving these responses, I declined to make the purchase and thought to share my thoughts with everyone else. I am sorry if this came off as malicious.

On another note, the 'l-shaped' tip problem with flat-blade weapons can sometimes be remedied by using strapping tape in the construction. I'm also personally a fan of using higher quality cushion foam rather than the cheaper insulation foam for my open-cell tips, but I have no evidence to support that preference. That said, I should add the following caveat: It has been nearly ten years since I last played in a Larp or constructed a boffer - I don't currently own a boffer of any variety, because I long ago gave them away. The June event will be my first Larping experience in a very, very long time - hence why I am in the market to either purchase or construct a new weapon. This means that all my information - aside from the responses quoted above - is substantially dated, so the community as a whole may have in the interim come up with a newer, better method to construct a boffer at home.

EDIT:
If anyone actually owns a Calimacil weapon, I would LOVE to meet up so that I can see one in-person before making a final boffer selection. I really, really like several of the designs. I just right now can't justify the purchase because all I have to go on as far as determining if they are safe or not is the website and how they answered (or didn't answer) my questions.
Shana Crump

Post by Shana Crump »

Alicia -

I'm not plot for GoD - but I have worked with Frederick's Forge (at the GA Renaissance Fair and DragonCon) several years, where Calimacil and Mitryl were just some of the suppliers that we had.

I'm working from memory - but as I recall, the main creator/caster at Mitryl originally worked at Calimacil - so there are some distinct similarities between the two. As for thrusting tip safety, it really depended on the weapon type; I can't recall specifics at the moment to tell you, however, I'm sorry.

If you are interested in look at specific weapon types, i would strongly urge you to check out Frederick's Forge at the upcoming Georga Fair run (a bit of a shameless plug, I admit!) and see if there is anything that you would consider. Additionally, he (Frederick, aka Danny Ham, the owner) might be able to order weapons from either supplier - or one of the others that he obtains inventory from.
--
Menhit-ta,
Follower of Userkaf, Sanctified by Tayet-Re
Dylan Coffey

Post by Dylan Coffey »

So after revamping my knowledge with a visit to the establishment Shana mentioned, I'll say that in my non-plot opinion, weapons from Calimacil and Atelier's Nemesis are going to be your highest percentage chance-to-pass, followed by cheaper vendors like Epic Armory and the like. Mityrl weapons are much, much more firm than the others (at least the ones I tested) and pack much more punch, so I'd rarely expect them to pass. Just my report.
????

posts from before November 2019
---
Moonlight Tiger
Grandmaster of the Five-Element Supreme Sword Skill
First Disciple of the Void Moon Reflection Style
Student of the Mt. Infinity School
Clay Road Wanderer