Element 406 and Our Contract with The Republic

This is for in-character discussions about the game.
Abby Peterson

Element 406 and Our Contract with The Republic

Post by Abby Peterson »

Since there seems to be some confusion over the subject (and some new faces), let me lay out a reminder.

The Republic of Anduine made an agreement with Beacon to release The Canary and keep from full on meddling in the Crossroads because we made a deal with them to monitor and contain signs of 406 problems in the region. My name is on the damned contract on behalf of this town and it was sent to them, all official-like. A copy of it is in my briefcase for anyone who needs it. It says:

------------------

"To the Settlers of Beacon,

Here is our agreement in writing. If you agree to the following terms please sign below and send it back to us via courier. After which, I will send a document withour most recent case of 406 proliferation. To show that this has been done in good faith I have released the Canary ahead of your signing of this agreement. Keep in mind that her release is contingent upon our deal continuing. Should you choose to renege on the deal we may take her back into custody.

The terms are as follows:

I. The Republic will release the Canary and ensure that the Canary will not be arrested in the future.
A. The Republic will provide Beacon exclusively with information on sources of weaponized 406.

II. In return Beacon takes full responsibility for handling weaponized 406 cases within the Crossroads.
A. How they handle these issues is a matter left to their own devices and they will not be held responsible for acts made without their knowledge involving weaponized 406, but they will be expected tp take swift action once made aware.

If you find this agreement to your liking you can sign this and send it back.

General Payne Ebonheart
Colonial Military Core

------------------

The last list that we got from them was:
Case - R24 - Beta: Cacophony of Dread
Members: Unknown possible unravelers
(Subset to Case - R136 - Alpha)

Case - R032 - Beta: Edward Young
Actions: Surveillance [ Failure], Guarding [Failure]

Case - R136-Alpha: Transcendent Union
Members: Lazerface, Quest, other MCP cultists
Actions: Information fed to Med R [Failure]

------------------

We promised not to go more than a month without making efforts towards 'handling' something on this list.

The Transcendent Union was the idiots worshiping Z'kul. The Republic had given their info to Med R to address, but Med R was attacked and that fell through. We focused on dealing with them, so that's off the table.

Dr. Edward Young has not been seen for months until Linnea found him holed up in his lab, trying to keep the Blighted human outbreak contained. The Republic had written the case as a concern because the scout they sent [surveillance] and the guard they had on him had gone missing or were found dead. Now that we know he'd working to contain the Blight jump to humans, that checks.
Now we have to shut down that problem, both to keep the Blight (caused by 406 exposure, by the way) from becoming a plague, but to honor our deal with The Republic. Notes about the recent infection of humans.

The Cacophony of Dread - I'll admit, I don't know anything about these, but they're out there and making some kind of trouble. Their issue is listed as subset to the Z'kul cultists, so they're connected somehow (at least as far as The Republic is concerned).

There ya go. We've fucked up some deals pretty seriously in the past and we're dealing with trying to clean up the consequences now. Let's try to stay on top of this one. It keeps Ebonheart out of our fucking business.
Gloria Callaghan
PI for Hire
Scott Kuban

Re: Element 406 and Our Contract with The Republic

Post by Scott Kuban »

Pardon my pedantry, but I must point out that this contract does not prohibit us from weaponizong 406. Not does it define what action we need to take when we come upon such cases, only that we 'deal with it' quickly. So many terms undefined.

Did any of Beacon have a hand in drafting this? Or is this the product of this Ebonheart?

Either way I think it prudent that I be prevented from having more than cursory contact with this Republican. I have no doubt I would win a battle of reason, but such things matter little when crossing mental swords with well funded military types.

Dr. D
Sam Marshall

Post by Sam Marshall »

Yeah, they didnt feel the need to put the fuckin "Dont turn this into bombs" clause because most of us have fuckin common sense and prefer not to leave such a big-ass crater that we'd make a brand new lake. As for "Handle it", pretty sure they don't care what we do with it, except for the whole "blowing ourselves to fuck", and are giving us discretion, so that they can't be blamed for any fallout, political or otherwise.

Pink, Iseuri of MCP
Abby Peterson

Post by Abby Peterson »

I hear you, Doctor. I'll address the question. They sent the document to us and told us we could send any edits back for review by courier or sign it if we found it acceptable. After discussion, it was signed at my desk and returned with no changes.

Now that the reasonable request for information has been handled, I'll continue.

They are so worried about 406 being weaponized or misused that they are willing to come into the Crossroads to stop it if they lose faith in our ability to do so.

Ebonheart is not an idiot. His team was R&D into exactly this shit and assuming you can dance around the spirit of his concerns through wording just because he's military will end in a way you (and likely the rest of town) won't like.
Gloria Callaghan
PI for Hire
Scott Kuban

Post by Scott Kuban »

I needed a moon but there wasn't one in the sky so I turned it on.

It's ok I turned it off again.

Something is very caterpillar velvet deliberative.

-Dr PhD